The deadline for applying is February 29th.
The total number of participants is limited to approx. 25. We will work in groups to try to define a new university service in a smart way.
In addition to those who are accepted in the first round, a few more applicants will be selected for a ranked waiting list (these applicants will be contacted).
In the application process, we will make a selection on the basis of interest, background, and amount of cooperation between our institutions. We will also try to select a good mix of participants of different age groups and gender. We will let you know the results shortly after the application deadline if you are accepted.
Everybody will be informed when the selection process is over, and before April.
The program is directed to general staff working in the university level with interest in benchmarking of practice and networking with colleagues.
We expect that all participants are willing and able to take active part in debates and in some cases also hold a presentation about their work and experience.
We are looking for:
– Staff interested in collaborative work
– Staff interested in Smart Cities
– Staff working in IT departments/offices.
– Staff working with communication/information
The language of communication is English.
Please, note that in the UPC the official languages are Catalan and Spanish, so it will be a plus that you speak at least one of this languages
Anyone can join this week at no cost. Social activities are optional and paid separately. Payment method will be announced as soon as possible.
The week includes the following
- Working sessions
- International exchange food (Monday)
- Lunch (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday)
- Paella (Friday)
We have organised three social activities that we believe will be of your interest. These are OPTIONAL and at your own cost.
- Boat trip -20€ (MONDAY 2th at 3PM) – http://www.consorcielfar.org/ (in spanish)
- Visit to Castellers de Gràcia venue “Human Towers” – 5€ (WEDNESDAY 4th at 8PM at Carrer Alzina núm. 7) – http://www.castellersdelaviladegracia.org/colla/assajos (in catalan)
- Social dinner at Restaurant El Flamant – 21€ (THURSDAY 5th at 8.00PM) – http://www.grupandilana.com/en/restaurants/flamant
We will send you an online form to confirm which activities you would like to attend. Payment method will be announced as soon as possible.
The Venue of this week will be at “Sala Àgora” located in Campus Nord of the Polithecnical University of Catalonia.
UPC has book some individual and double rooms in the UPC Residence. If you are interested in booking a room we kindly ask you to make the reservation yourself before March 15th .
We have made a reservation, 3 double and 7 single rooms under the number 53.247 (this is from the May 2nd to May 6th). In case you want to stay longer or different days you can always ask them.
- Single: 56 EUR per day including VAT and breakfast.
- Double: 85 EUR / room per day including VAT and breakfast.
- To book, you should write to: firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting the reservation specifying the quota of reservation 53247, UPC ISTW 2016.
Places are limited and acceptances will be given on a first-come-first-serve basis. However, the residence is likely to have more rooms available. Therefore, if you are told that the rooms under this reservation number are all taken, ask if they have rooms anyways
You can find alternative accommodation options with special rates for UPC visitors at
For those who don’t know where the Politechnical University of Catalunya (UPC) is in Barcelona, here is a map with the location of the UPC, the historical center of the city, and UPC residence and a suggestion to go from the city center to UPC.
How to get to Barcelona City Center
The Prat airport, which is 13 km from Barcelona, is well communicated with the city center by several means of transport.
– Taxi: it usually costs between 25-30 €.
– Train: there are trains to Barcelona every 30 minutes.
– Bus (Aerobus): Stops at Plaça Catalunya. http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/
How to get to UPC
From the Airport
– Taxi: it usually costs between 25-30 €.
– Metro: there is new line L9 (opened recently). From the airport to Zona Universitaria, near UPC, is about 4.5€ and it takes 40 minutes to go from airport to UPC.
– Train: there are trains to Barcelona every 30 minutes. You must get off at the Sants station and from there take the underground line L3 (green) until Palau Reial or Zona Universitaria.
– Bus (Aerobus): Stops at Plaça Catalunya (http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/). From there take the underground line L3 (green) until Palau Reial or Zona Universitaria.
From the Barcelona city center
– Metro: Take the underground line L3 (green) until Palau Reial or Zona Universitaria.
– Bus: There are several lines that connect the City Center with the UPC.
Please visit the Barcelona Public Transport website for further information: http://www.tmb.cat/en/home
How to get to Sala Àgora from Metro (Palau Reial or Zona Universitària Stop)